How To Refinish your Woodenware
In order to refinish your Baribocraft™ and Baribo-Maid™ bowls, we recommend using this food safe product developed by H. Behlen and available in a fine store near you.
"Behlen - Salad Bowl Finish" (Clear)
This product has been specially formulated to meet government standards of CFR21, 175.300 to create a nontoxic, food safe finish (in its cured state). Salad Bowl Finish has the application ease of an oil finish (just use a clean white cloth) and the resistance properties and sheen producing qualities of a varnish (up to a satin). Salad Bowl Finish may be applied to wooden:
• Furniture (Highchairs, Cribs, Etc.)
• Utensils (Spoons)
• Butcher Block Counters - NOT for use on surfaces used for cutting or chopping. (For Cutting & Chopping Boards, Butcher Blocks, and bare wood Salad Bowls used with a chopping/dough cutting tool, use a block oil such as "Terra Nova NaturOil")
• Food Service Platters
• Sushi Platters
• Infant Furniture, High Chairs
• Recreational Objects (Games, Puzzles, Childrens Toys)
Wooden bowls, wooden utensils, counter tops and recreational related objects (games, puzzles, etc) when finished with Salad Bowl Finish may be used in contact with foods.
Procedure to Apply Behlen Salad Bowl Finish:
1. Sand Wood to 320 grit smooth.
2. Remove all dust with tack cloth or vacuum hose.
3. Apply Salad Bowl Finish to wood with clean lint free white cloth.
4. Apply one thin, uniform coat.
5. Allow 6 hours dry time before recoating, and lightly scuff/sand with 400 grit sand paper.
6. To recoat, repeat steps 2 through 5.
7. Apply enough coats to thoroughly seal the surface.
8. Softer or porous woods may need several coats.
9. Allow 24 hours prior to rubbing with nylon mesh pad or 4/0 Steel Wool.
10. Allow at least 72 hours curing prior to use with food.
11. Clean-up your area & tools with Mineral Spirits (Varsol).
12. To insure that materials coated with Salad Bowl Finish may be used in contact with food, you must do the following:
H. BEHLEN Salad Bowl Finish meets government standards of CFR21,175.300 to create a nontoxic, food safe finish (in its cured state)
1. Apply to raw (non-stained) wood.
2. Use as is (Salad Bowl Finish is a ready-to-use product), do NOT add reducers.
3. Use only additional coats of Salad Bowl Finish to build a coating (do NOT apply over other finishes).
4. Wait at least 72 hours, observing proper curing conditions, to allow all detectable traces of the Mineral Spirits solvent ingredient to evaporate.
Behlen product available on Amazon (I located this seller but I do not personally have knowledge of them) - check HERE